November 23, 2011

"TAKE JOY IN THE GOD OF MY SALVATION"

We read in Habakkuk 3:18, "...yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation" (ESV).

When I was a kid, I got joy in my toys. I got joy from games and playmates. I was thrilled also by some magic tricks of my father.

There was also gladness in my heart when my parents would brought me to the movies.

As years went by, I found enjoyment also in various ways. I enjoyed reading comics, eating fried fish, listening to the stories of my parents, especially of my father.

I got joy also when I received high grades in class, when I was in the company of my friends, or when my first writing was published.

When I started to become interested in the Bible, there was also joy in my heart. I got joy, then, in trying to know what the Book would say about the future.

Unfortunately, I reached the point in my life that I took joy in some beliefs, like the punishment in hell would end, though the Bible clearly states, "They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever" (Rev. 20:10, NIV).

Where do you take also your joy?

In material or physical possessions? In such beliefs, which clearly contradicted by the Scripture, as: everyone is going to be saved, all are children of God, or the punishment in hell is not eternal?

Should we not imitate Habakkuk -- "take joy in... God"? Should we not rejoice in the Lord, instead?

As we also read in Isaiah 61:10 --

"I delight greatly in the LORD;
my soul rejoices in my God.
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation
and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels" (NIV).

No comments:

Post a Comment